KeyPress OSD is a program that acts as an On-Screen Display or a Heads-Up Display for keys. It displays every key or mouse button press at a clearly visible text size.
It is free and open-source. Works on Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10.
KeyPress OSD is useful for...
People with poor eye sight or low vision. It can aid desktop computer usage. KeyPress OSD is especially useful while chatting or for occasional typing. The user no longer has to squint or zoom in the entire screen to see what s/he writes in small text fields. Additional features such as mouse location and clicks highliting, and beeps on key presses can further aid computer usage for certain people.
Production of video tutorials, screen casts or presentations. This application can also be used for screen casts or presentations, by disabling the typing mode at Preferences. In the tray menu, you can select Quick Start Presets to help you get started using it for this.
Numerous unique features, options and settings are available in the different Preferences windows provided in the program, such that everyone can find a way to adapt it to personal needs.
Features in KeyPress OSD
- Support for at least 110 keyboard layouts covering about 55 languages. It recognizes keys with Shift, AltGr and dead keys for each of these layouts.
- Support for Cyrillic, Greek and Indic-based keyboard layouts and partial support for Right-to-Left.
- Automatic detection of keyboard layouts.
- Show previously pressed key if fired quickly. Count key presses or key fires and mouse clicks.
- Indicators for Caps Lock, Num Lock and Scroll Lock states.
- Option to ignore specific keys.
- Typing mode. It shows what you are typing in an expanding text area.
- Virtual caret / text cursor navigation:
- Navigate through typed text in the OSD in synch with the text field of the host application.
- Basic support for copy, paste, cut and undo with Ctrl + A / Z / X / C / V.
- Support for text selections.
- Support for customizable automatic text replace / expansion, e.g, 'btw' expands to 'by the way', or 'bbl' to 'be back later'.
- Multi-Clipboard support. You can easily retrieve previous clipboard contents and text typed in the OSD. The texts stored in the clipboards retain their formatting.
- Shortcuts to copy the text from the active text field into the OSD, or paste the OSD content to it.
- Typed text history with Page Up/Down. On pressing Enter or Escape, it records the written line and you can get back to it with Page Up.
- Automatic resizing of OSD/HUD or fixed size.
- Customizable size, position and colors. You can drag the OSD at any time - if this option is activated.
- The OSD can hide or switch position automatically when the mouse runs over it.
- Customizable visual mouse clicks and mouse halo to indicate its location, and flash mouse cursor after idling.
- Mouse keys. Move the mouse cursor with the numpad keys.
- Ability to lock Left, Right and Middle clicks to facilitate drag-n-drop operations, using ScrollLock or numpad Enter.
- Option to wrap / warp mouse movements at screen edges.
- Wheel up / down, right / left support.
- Ability to move in 16 different directions by combining two directions simultaneously.
- Ease to alternate between cursor speeds using Capslock.
- Distinct beepers for different types of keys and buttons or when typing with Capslock.
- Clipboard monitor. It displays briefly texts copied to clipboard.
- Multi-monitor support.
- Portable. No need to install/uninstall. Settings stored in an easy to read INI file.
- Easy to configure with many options in Settings windows to toggle features and customize behavior and look.
- Option to update to the latest version.
Through the development of this project, Drugwash (from the AHK forums) substantially contributed with code and feedback. Many thanks to you!
To keep the development going, please donate using PayPal.